Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Awful C Word

I have gained a new respect for my sister-in-law Cathy! She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2013 and had a lumpectomy on November 19, 2013. She has been through chemo and now radiation. Those two things in and of themselves are no picnic in the park but I had no idea of how horrible some of the side effects are. Both treatments caused unbelievable suffering for her and she's had several other random things happen during all of this that were very unpleasant. Through all of this, she has continued going to work everyday, sometimes as early as midnight, except for a few days due to Drs. orders that she had to stay at home. She has 3rd degree burns under her arm and has extreme pain, her job is very physical and includes using that arm but her concern is that her family needs her financial help from that job and she dare not lose it, so she continues on. She has been there for her family through all this. I know that if all this would have been happening to me I would not have been able to face it with the courage she has. I am so glad she will be done with radiation very soon! Although I wish she would't have to have had the treatments, I treasure the time we shared on the rides back and forth to Decatur. I have gotten to know her in a new light and I am impressed with the person I have come to know.
My husband was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in the midst of Cathy's treatment so between the two of them I have made many, many trips to Decatur in the last year. My husband has completed his radiation treatment but is still living with the side effects. He is not a complainer either but I have been able to see that it is difficult for him to keep up with his life in the way he would like to. He too continued going to work and as soon as we could tell that he could handle it he went to treatment on his own. He left work in time to to make his appointments and then headed back to work after. His throat still bothers him a lot when he eats and his energy level is still way down but he still continues doing everything he can and more than he should. I don't know what I would do without him in my life! He is such a giver and helps me in so many ways that I can't even begin to count.I have always seen myself as a very independent person and tend to think I can do whatever I need to do on my own but when I look back on our married life I realize that most everything I have done has been done with his help and support. God has truly blessed me with a soul mate!
I am here to tell you that i knew that Cancer was a horrible disease but I had absolutely no clue how horrible! May God be with those who are experiencing it and those that love them enough to stay by their side.

No comments:

Post a Comment