Sunday, August 10, 2014

My Happy Place

I love sitting on my porch swing to eat breakfast, to read a book, to relax or just sit and watch the traffic. It is indeed my happy place! I noticed that it needs to be weather coated. I bought some throw pillows for it and I'm planning on painting the chains. They are getting rusty.
Today has been a good day! We went to church and heard a really good message. The worship was good too. I love our church. I always feel so close to God there and I love to feel His presence.
After church we went to eat at Black Dog with Beth and Emily. It was Beth's birthday and she wanted to eat there. It was our first time and while I loved the casual atmosphere I wasn't totally in love with the food. It was kind of like Famous Daves but not a chain and honestly I didn't like the food as well. After lunch we went to Menards and let Beth pick out a fire pit for her birthday. From there we went to Sam's Club and stocked on some things that we always but there. Now we are just at home being lazy.
I heard a locust for the first time for the summer this afternoon. Somebody has told me that when you hear the first one there will be frost in six weeks. That makes me really sad! I love summer and I am never ready for it to be over.
We had a good day yesterday too. Elmer decided that the bushes needed to be trimmed so he went out and started. I had to prepare some invoices that I do for a small private company, so I did those and got them in the mail then went out and helped him. Everything was pretty wet since we'd had rain for the last several days but I did manage to get one of my flower beds cleaned while we were working on the bushes in between picking up the mess for Elmer.
After we were one with that I ran uptown and let Beth's and her friend's dogs out.Then I came home mowed the yard and did a few things before I had to run back up town to pick up my sister Millie from her job and take her home. Millie is Amish and a caregiver for her husband who had a stroke about nine years ago. He can't work regular hours so Millie pick up odd jobs where she can to make money. She also writes a column in several newspapers. I like to help them out when I can. To end the evening Elmer and I went out to eat with his brother and wife at a steak place in Champaign. Like I said it was a good day.
I just came in from the yard and this is what was happening. I so wish I had a really good camera with a powerful lens.  This is the second Sunday afternoon that we have had swarms of dragonflies in our yard. I've was sitting out  there watching them then all of a sudden there was a humming bird flying in the midst of them as if he wanted to join in. Then here comes another one and they are both scolding at the dragonflies. Finally the hummingbird sat in a tree staring at them for a few minutes before he came flying right at me, hovering there in front of me as if to say can you believe this?! Seriously I'm not making this up! My yard is a fascinating place right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment