Thursday, August 21, 2014

Family Gathering

This evening we are going to the Arthur Park with my mom and all her kids and grandkids. We try to do it every year with one of the siblings taking their turn to be in charge. This year it is my sister Millie's turn. She is making some kind of chicken breast and potatoes and the rest of us are all taking  a side dish. I am trying a new recipe that I got from my sister in law. It is a very simple peach cobbler. Hers was so good! I hope mine turns out ok. It is still in the oven so I don't know. We are going to take ice-cream to go with it. Here's the recipe for it if somebody happens to read this blog and wants it.
Peach Cobbler

Melt 1 stick butter
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk
Mix together like cake. Put in the bottom of a 9x13 pan and top with:
2 cups fresh peach slices
! cup sugar
1 1/2 cup water
Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees

I did not use the whole cup of sugar.

I started this post on Sunday and have not gotten back to it until tonight and it;s already Thursday! 
good grief!
 It has been a busy week. On Monday I went with Elmer to his appointment with his oncologist. He seemed pleased with Elmer's progress and said that he was releasing him to his surgeon's care.
I made tomato sauce for the very first time on Wednesday. I ended up with 6 pint jars and 11 half pint jars. That should last the whole winter. My sister LaDonna was also at our house on Wednesday. Her twin boys love to play here and since school is starting next week there won't be very many more chances.
When I was gathering tomatoes I was surprised to find a bird's nest inside one of the tomato cages. I had not been able to see the whole plant before because of the squash plants that had covered it up. 
When I went ti gather tomatoes I just peered through the leaves for flashes of red. This time I could actually see the whole thing and besides the bird nest there was also a pumpkin hanging over the top of the cage.
Today I was watching one of my grandsons. He kept me entertained the whole day. I did manage to get my laundry caught up and gave the upstairs bathroom a good scrubbing even though he was here.
I have been sitting out on the porch swing and although it is getting quite dark I do not want to go back in. The sounds of the evening are so peaceful. Elmer is not at home however and he would probably not like me sitting out here in the dark so I will go back inside.  I watched a spider build a web tonight and despite the chills going though my body I was still fascinated by the sight. Another interesting sight I saw was this brown walking stick with four green legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment